Orzo with Feta
I’ve been thinking about making something with orzo for a while, and saw a good recipe on Tasty Kitchen and thought I’d give it a try. But you know me, I can’t follow directions when it comes to food, so, as always, I added my own touch on the recipe.
The asparagus I had was already roasted (LOVE! roasted asparagus) so that was one variation from the original recipe. Another was the tomatoes. I love tomatoes, and Sendik’s had cute little cherry tomatoes on sale. These aren’t good enough to eat on their own yet, but are good enough to cook with (the added spiced and other things in the dish help out the paper-like taste of winter tomatoes).
1/2 cup orzo
1/2 lb spinach
1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2 cup roasted asparagus (sliced on the diagonal in bite-sized pieces)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Feta (as much as you like)
2 TB olive oil
Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.
1. Cook orzo according to package directions
2. Let the minced garlic infuse the olive oil on relatively low heat, so it doesn’t burn, until you can smell it (or about 5 minutes)
3. Add the spinach and cook down a bit
4. Add the tomatoes, season, and cook together for about 5 minutes
5. Add the roasted asparagus and orzo
6. Add the feta
Garlic infusing oil
Spinach cooked down
Added the tomatoes
Added orzo and asparagus
Posted in asparagus, Dinner, garlic, Healthy, pasta, Quick and Easy, tomatoes, Veggies
Tagged Dinner, Healthy, orzo, Quick and Easy, vegetarian
Shrimp and Orzo salad
This dinner is completely inspired by Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa. I love her style of cooking and many of her recipes and have tried quite a few. But I had a couple pounds of shrimp sitting around and I wanted to use up some of it. I also had a ton of veggies sitting around and I didn’t want to waste those either. So, I thought that orzo would be a perfect canvas to combine all these great ingredients. I tried to stick to her recipe for the most part, but of course, I had to make things “mine” by switching a few things.
1/2 cup (dry) orzo
2 bell peppers (I used yellow and orange)
1/4 large hothouse cucumber
1/4 cup feta (I used French feta, but use your favorite/whatever you have on hand)
basil, lots (I used about a 1/4 cup)
2 TB olives, finely minced
2 scalions finely minced.
Olive oil, salt, pepper to taste
1. Dice the bell peppers and cucumber.
2. Cook the orzo according to package directions.
3. Combine all the ingredients.
Orzo with Shrimp
Oven Roasted Shrimp
Posted in Bell pepper, Healthy, pasta, Quick and Easy, Salad, Veggies
Tagged bell peppers, cucumber, feta, olives, orzo, Shrimp
This is a little odd, but I’ve never made orzo before today. I’ve eaten it plenty of times, just never made it. don’t know why I haven’t tried it sooner. I’ve been craving warm-weather dishes, and the Mediterranean always makes me think of summer and all those fresh flavors.
Here, I just threw things that I thought would work, but of course, experiment with your favorite flavors and quantities.
Some of the ingredients
1 cup of orzo
1-2 tb of olive oil
Spinach (about 4 cups fresh)
Mushrooms (I used about 1.5 cups of baby bella)
2 Red bell peppers
2 Roasted bell peppers
3 cloves of garlic
3-6 small tomatoes
1 small onion
handful of pitted olives
handful of jarred artichoke hearts
3.5 – 4 cups of chicken stock (for the orzo)
chili powder, cumin, flat leaf parsley, garlic powder
1. Cook the orzo according to the directions on the box (I used stock instead of water though).
2. In a large skillet, saute diced onion and garlic.
3. Add diced bell pepper and roasted red pepper. Cook together for a few minutes.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms and spinach. Cook together for a while, till spinach wilts. This is where I usually add the spices, but you can add them a little sooner.
5. Add the diced olives, artichokes and halved tomatoes.
6. When the orzo is cooked, add it to the skillet with everything else.
7. Add the parsley and feta.
Mushrooms, Artichokes, Olives, Peppers
Added the Orzo, Spinach, and Parsley
Close-up - Added the Orzo, Spinach, and Parsley
Posted in Bell pepper, Dinner, garlic, Healthy, Mushrooms, pasta, Quick and Easy, tomatoes
Tagged artichokes, feta, fresh vegetables, low fat, olives, orzo, red bell pepper, roasted pepper, spinach, tomatoes